- To understand fundamentals regarding Mechanics of Solids.
- To develop ability of students to carry out analysis of complex state of stress.
- To familiarize students about the failure modes of materials.
- To enhance skills of utilizing materials of appropriate strength for civil engineering applications.
COURSE LEARNING OUTCOMES (CLO)
CLO: 1. to explain concepts of stresses, strains, and related theories and to apply concepts of stresses, strains, and related theories in simple problems of Mechanics of Solids.
CLO: 2. to measure the stresses in structural members of different materials(e.g. steel, concrete etc.) subjected to different loadings.
CLO: 3. to clarify concepts of stresses, strains, and related theories in simple problems of Mechanics of Solids.
CLO: 4. to perform calculations using software (MS Excel, RISA etc) for the stresses in structural members of different materials subjected to different loadings.
- Stress, Strain and Mechanical Properties of Materials
- Uniaxial state of stress and strain
- Relationships between elastic Constants
- Response of materials under different sets of monotonic loading (including impact)
- Normal and shearing stress and strains
- Distribution of direct stresses on uniform and non-uniform members
- Thermal stresses and strains
- Difference between stress and pressure
- Lateral strain, Volumetric Strain, Poisson’s Ratio,
- Bending Theory
- Relationship between load, shear force and bending moment
- Theory of bending
- Moment of resistance and section modulus
- Application of flexural formula,
- Bending and shearing stress distribution in beams
- Stresses in composite sections
- Spring and strain energy
- Open coil springs
- Closed coil Spring
- Leaf springs
- Strain Energy due to direct loads, shear force, bending moments, torque and impact loads.
- Theory of Torsion
- Theory of torsion of solids and hollow circular shafts
- Shearing stress distribution, angle of twist, strength and stiffness of shaft
- Stress and Strain Transformations
- Biaxial state of stresses
- Resolution of stresses
- Principal plane, principal stresses and strains
- Graphical representation of stress and strains, Mohr’s circle of stresses and strains
- Theory of Plasticity
- Plastic limit analysis for ductile materials and
- Plastic limit analysis for brittle materials
- Collapse mechanism
- Theory of Elasticity
- Analysis of stresses and strains due to combined effect of axial, bending and twisting forces/moments
- Stress and deformation relationships
- Enhanced Topics Related to Beam Bending and Shear
- Unsymmetrical bending
- Analysis of Curved Beam
- Shear center and shear flow
- Introduction to circumferential and radial stresses in curved beams,
- Correction of Circumferential Stress in curved beams having I, T-cross section
- Fatigue due to cyclic loading
- Discontinuities and stress concentration
- Corrosion fatigue,
- Low cyclic fatigue
- ɛ-N relations
- Application of Mechanics of Solid in Civil Engineering Applications
- Energy methods-General area of application and its usefulness.
- Use of stress strain curve for selection of materials