This course is designed with emphasis placed on the role of the pharmacist in medication dispensing and patient care. The course will provide students with information and skills in the areas of compounding and extemporaneous preparations to meet specific patient needs.
COURSE LEARNING OUTCOMES (CLO)
CLO: 1. To comprehend fundamental operations in compounding, extemporaneous dispensing and labelling of different dosage forms accurately and safely
CLO: 2. To perform prescription handling procedure including prescription interpretation, drug filling, pricing, proper documentation and dispensing medications.
CLO: 3. To apply knowledge of basic concepts of dispensing and compounding to manifest, correct and prevent pharmaceutical incompatibilities
- BASIC PRINCIPLES OF COMPOUNDING AND DISPENSING INCLUDING
- Fundamental operations in Compounding, Containers and closures for Dispensed Products, Prescription-Handling (Parts of Prescription, Filling, Interpretation, Pricing) and Labelling of Dispensed Medication.
- EXTEMPORANEOUS DISPENSING
- Solutions, Suspensions, Emulsions, Creams, Ointments, Pastes and gels, Suppositories and pessaries, Powders and granules and Oral unit dosage form.
- PHARMACEUTICAL INCOMPATIBILITIES
- Types of Incompatibilities, Manifestations, Correction and Prevention with reference to typical examples.