This lab course is designed to develop the practical workshop skills by giving basic training on converting technical drawing into practical workshop models and hands-on practice on production of small machine components. All necessary workshop safety instructions will be given to the students before they work on any job or machine. Use of safety wear, equipment and procedures will be ensured and strictly followed.
COURSE LEARNING OUTCOMES (CLO)
CLO-1: Explain the use of measuring and bench fitting tools.
CLO-2: Show the use of safety equipment during workshop practice.
CLO-3: Describe the basic concepts of different types of welding.
CLO-4: Display the ability to use different basic machining operations keeping all safety precautions in mind.
1. Workshop Safety
- Experiment # 1
- Lecture and movie on workshop safety and practical demonstration of safety equipment, tools and safety gear.
2. Measurement Section
- Experiment # 2
- Measurement of different dimensions of a given specimen using Vernier calipers, micrometer and thread pitch gauge, etc., and preparation of report.
3. Bench Fitting Shop
- Experiment # 3
- Introduction of different bench fitting tools and equipment and preparation of a report.
- Experiment # 4
- Fabrication of a wall-hanger base plate as per drawing using operations like, measuring, marking, sawing, filing, drilling, counter sinking and threading.
- Fabrication of wall-hanger hooks as per drawing using operations like, measuring marking, sawing, filing, taping, fitting and assembly of the complete wall hanger.
4. Welding Shop
- Experiment # 5
- Preparation of metal work pieces of required dimensions and joining in lap, butt and T-joints using electric arc welding.
- Experiment # 6
- Preparation of metal work pieces of required dimensions and joining in lap, butt and T-joints using gas welding.
- Experiment # 7
- Joining of metal work pieces in lap, butt and T-joints using TIG welding.
- Experiment # 8
- Joining of metal work piece in lap, butt and T-joints using MIG welding.
5. Machine Shop
- Experiment # 9:
- Introduction of a lathe machine, its parts and accessories, and different operations which can be performed on a lathe machine.
- Experiment # 10:
- Manufacturing of a pen holder top on lathe machine using operations like facing, center drilling, turning, taper turning and parting.